Concept & direction/ Shu Lea Cheang
Production Team/ Escher Tsai, Monique Chiang, Ping-Yi Chen, Chi-Hung Tsai, Che-Min Hsieh, Mei-Hsuan Chen
- laboratory from laborare in Latin, a place to work with equipments, codes, programming and experiments. In the media art scenes, we have seen many incarnations of labs - the hard, the soft, the dry, the wet, the future, the post-future. We have sought collaboration of all sorts - the artists and the scientists, the hackers and the schemers, the welders and the wielders.
- activated inter-spaces that defy binary codes while traversing between inside and outside, human and non-human, nature and un-nature, above and underground. In working the fields, tracking the wild, braving the water, breaking the ice, cultivating the microbe, fermenting the chaos, walking the people, talking the talks, LAB can no longer be simply GPS navigated and location identified as we dive into the unknown territories of inner and outer sphere.
LAB KILL LAB proposes a lab concept that permits a well-defined working lab the possibility to be renewed, substituted, replaced, regenerated and retired as time progresses. Taking the approach of a 7-day multi-work-station camp-together, LAB KILL LAB situates non-conforming artists in collective work sessions and associates its development with deep-rooted local networks of activists, cultural workers, science labs and agro-bio-labs. Through the field-crossing collaboration, LAB KILL LAB is both ephemeral and durational in its seeding, hatching, breeding of a concept, a proposal, a project that remains ever-mutating and unfinished.LAB KILL LAB acknowledges the following inspirations:
- *FIELDS, initiated by Armin MEDOSCH with Rasa SMITE and Raitis SMITS of RiXC, Latvia, presents an inquiry into patterns of renewal and transition.
- FIELD NOTES by SOLU/BioArt Society is an art & science field laboratory at the Kilpisjärvi Biological Station in Lapland/Finland.
- Unfinished Lab presented by Pedro SOLER at STWST48x5, Stadtwerkstatt, Linz, Austria.
- Art Kill Art, a Paris-Berlin based label that promotes experimental audiovisual and sound art, explores the quality, complexity and limits of different media.
5 work stations, each with core artists and collaborators, each with a specific thematic exploration -